My TinyTV 2 experience thus far:

SeanSIMPLETHINGS

• View Profile
A friend of mine who knows me very well got me this as a gift for Christmas. I love it. It combines my interest in retro stuff, gadgets, hacking, and novelty. 10/10

- I love the static and random start time elements. These really make the device.

I did manage to completely corrupt the original 8gb SD card. I could't get it to work at all. It just glitched out once when I started it up and wouldn't work from that point. I even removed it from the Tiny TV and it won't even register to Format when plugged into anything. I tried both my MacBook and a PC laptop. 

It's OK because I upgraded it to a SanDisk 64gb.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware (as of 1/8/24)

I did a lot of experimenting and I think that videos that are longer than 2 hours only start at the beginning. Hopefully this gets fixed because I really want to create a long music video channel that basically random plays.

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the feedback! Glad you like it overall but sorry about the SD card failure! We'd replace it if you like but sounds like you're past that.

We had one other post about some videos starting at the beginning but that user said 8 hour videos worked, but 10h+ did not, so I didn't put it too high up our list- if you have a shorter video that doesn't, any way you could send that our way? I'll test it here and see if I can reproduce the issue. We should be able to get it fixed up.

SeanSIMPLETHINGS

• View Profile
Do you have a email address I could send a file? I started with a recording of MTV from the 90's that was 3 hours and 40 minutes long, I edited it in several increments (of about 30 minutes ) and found that as long as the video was less than 2 hours the random start time worked. Past that it always started at the beginning.

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok- that sounded pretty reproducible, so I tested a few longer movies here and sometimes got the "always starts at the beginning", sometimes not. Started digging and it looks like we have issues properly handling any movie over 1GB! I'm pretty sure only the first 1-2 hours(1GB of the file) are playing back. We haven't heard about this at all! So maybe some large videos pop out of the converter(ffmpeg) differently and are compatible. But that lets me start working on FW changes to hopefully address this.

Thanks,
Ben
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 03:23:34 PM by Ben Rose »

SeanSIMPLETHINGS

• View Profile
Hey Ben. I tried sending you both an email and a PM. Your spam blocker blocked both and doesn't like URL's. If you have some less restrictive communication form I can share some videos with you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk