Random video position on boot?

RavenWorks

• View Profile
I've loaded up some long videos onto my TinyTV2, and while they do "keep playing" while I'm on other channels as I'd expect, they always start from more-or-less the very beginning when I power the TV on.   I understand that saving position would be tricky, and keeping a clock running while it's off would waste the battery, but personally I'd be happy with the solution of it just starting playback from a random point in the video every time it's booted, so I'm not always seeing the same opening seconds of it every time I turn it on?   (I'm not sure what sources of entropy it would have to draw from to pick the random number, maybe the current battery level?)

RavenWorks

• View Profile
Checking back in here to say I've got this working (as an extra option in the settings file) in my checked-out copy of the source; I'll file a pull request once my previous pull request (customizable power-off timeout) goes through (I don't want to worry about awkward merges between them).

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey again- sorry we disappeared for a bit, Jason and I have been (extremely) occupied with Mini production! Took a quick look at your first change on Github- looks like a good start. I'll try to respond to your specific comments on Github in the next few days. Thanks for holding off on the second change, I agree that's easier.

Thanks,
Ben

slethree

• View Profile
Hey love this idea!! It'd make the TinyTV much more functional for me. Are you still working on adding this to the source?

RavenWorks

• View Profile
The whole thing sort of went on hold while I waited for them to review my first pull request, which I think hasn't happened yet....  so at this point, maybe I'll just publish my own fork of the firmware and worry about whether it gets merged down the road....    I'm going to be a little occupied the next few days, but I'll try and look it over and put it online soonish, and I'll post here when I do!

slethree

• View Profile
Awesome! Really looking forward to what you've come up with!

RavenWorks

• View Profile
So actually, things have gotten moving again, and if you're prepared to build the firmware yourself, it's up as a pull request right now:  https://github.com/TinyCircuits/TinyCircuits-TinyTVs-Firmware/pull/8

If not, hopefully they'll have an official build up soon, but if they don't, I could put mine up in the meantime.    (I'm actually getting debounce in at the moment...)

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey thanks! Looks good and well thought out, so I pulled it in- I think we might change some of the high level stuff, I think we want just one setting for this feature and will either default to the random startup time or 'resume' time etc, but I'm not sure what the outcome will be yet.

RavenWorks

• View Profile
I definitely greatly prefer the random value personally, although I could see someone preferring the resuming feature?   What's the reason for not wanting to give people the option?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk