USB Shield Question - USB Host?

bibletech55

• Roger roger - all 120 marching battle droids.
    • View Profile
Hello there,

I'm working on a small project using a TinyZero - essentially a data-storage unit that I can connect to my computer and read data from. However, I would like to utilize it on-the-go thanks to it's small size. One solution is using an equally-portable USB Host device that can read and display my data-storage TinyZero's signals, in place of my computer. I know there is a USB shield, but it normally is used for programming Tinyduinos that did not have a built-in USB port.

Though, since it refers to "add[ing] USB communication capabilities to your projects" in the description (and that it mentions this as a separate, distinct function from programming the board), and also that the "entire USB protocol [is] handled on the chip" in the Tech Specs, I'm wondering: can this shield also be used as a USB Host? If so, that would be super helpful for my project!

If it cannot be used as a USB Host, is there at least a way to read data sent from the TinyZero's USB port without using a computer?

Jason

• Administrator
  • TinyCircuits Employee
    • View Profile
Hello there,

I'm working on a small project using a TinyZero - essentially a data-storage unit that I can connect to my computer and read data from. However, I would like to utilize it on-the-go thanks to it's small size. One solution is using an equally-portable USB Host device that can read and display my data-storage TinyZero's signals, in place of my computer. I know there is a USB shield, but it normally is used for programming Tinyduinos that did not have a built-in USB port.

Though, since it refers to "add[ing] USB communication capabilities to your projects" in the description (and that it mentions this as a separate, distinct function from programming the board), and also that the "entire USB protocol [is] handled on the chip" in the Tech Specs, I'm wondering: can this shield also be used as a USB Host? If so, that would be super helpful for my project!

If it cannot be used as a USB Host, is there at least a way to read data sent from the TinyZero's USB port without using a computer?

Could provide more details about what you mean by wanting to "utilize it on-the-go?" What exactly would the TinyZero be talking to if it's not a computer?

I don't think the USB TinyShield can be used as a host controller.

There is an Arduino USB host library that may work with the TinyZero: https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/usbhost/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk