TinyTV2 doesn't show up as an external drive

dowhatnow

• View Profile
I've installed the converter, which works now that I've updated my mac to 13.4 (grumble), but when I plug in the device with any usb-C -> usb-C cable (I've tried several, including a converted usb-A -> usb-c cable) it fails to show up as an external drive in finder.  I also don't see anything in diskutility.  external drives ARE selected to show up in the finder settings.  It doesn't show in /Volumes, "diskutil list" doesn't show it.

In short, I don't think it's working.  Any ideas?

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sorry about the problem(and requiring the update, I know that's annoying). Trying to narrow it down, does the TV screen switch away from the video and show a 'USB storage mode' screen?

Is this on an Apple Silicon processor? We had some additional issues with those(each USB device needs to be given permission) but I think those have been resolved on the macOS side.

dowhatnow

• View Profile
It does not switch on the screen, nothing at all happens on the screen.  the orange LED on the bottom (charging indicator?) turns orange but that's all.  It's an M1 max (apple silicone) running 13.4

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sounds like it may be powered down all the way when you're testing this- have you tried plugging it into the computer while the TV is on and playing videos? Otherwise it sounds like you've tested thoroughly and the TV may have been damaged or was already defective in some way, send us an email at info@tinycircuits.com referencing this thread if it's still not working please.

I did just test on an M2 with 13.4 since this type of thing can break/unbreak version to version, the first time it's plugged in the Mass Storage screen appears for about a second- macOS shows an "allow USB device" type prompt, then the TinyTV needs to be unplugged/replugged. After that it seems to work normally.

Thanks,
Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk