Unable to connect to Thumby

vapeto · 4 · 3980

vapeto

• View Profile
I have opened up the IDE in both Chrome and Edge and neither one of them has any devices listed when I click CONNECT THUMBY. I can see that Thumby is in device manager as USB Serial Device (COM3) as soon as I plug it in. I am on Windows 11 if that makes any difference. 

Edit: I can even connect to the serial port using Putty and see following output:

Code: [Select]
DPAD left pressed!
Press DPAD right
DPAD right pressed!
Press DPAD up
Press DPAD down
Press A (right)
Press B (left)
B pressed!
Battery: 4.02
Playing audio test, hold right DPAD to stop
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:24:12 PM by vapeto »

vapeto

• View Profile
The problem is in repl.js:

Code: [Select]
        this.USB_VENDOR_ID = 11914; // For filtering ports during auto or manual selection
        this.USB_PRODUCT_ID = 5;    // For filtering ports during auto or manual selection

The PID for my THUMBY is 000A which is 10.

vapeto

• View Profile
Seems like my THUMBY was not provisioned right. It was most likely in some kind of factory test mode. To fix it I had to:

1. go to https://tinycircuits.github.io/
2. download firmware from UTILITIES -> DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE
3. power off THUMBY, plug in the USB
4. hold down the d-pad down button and power on THUMBY - this boots up the Pico in a mode that shows up as a drive on your PC
5. drag and drop the firmware into the THUMBY drive. This will disconnect THUMBY and leave it with no working screen
6. go back to https://tinycircuits.github.io/
7. CONNECT THUMBY
6. Now Filesystem tab shows empty
7. Click FORMAT to load all files again
8. Disconnect and reboot

lennevia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, you definitely had the test code. Sorry about that. I'm glad you were able to sort it out and get the updated software from the IDE.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk