BLE reflashing

joshmarinacci

• View Profile
I've worked with several arduino based BLE shields. One limitation with all of them is that you essentially get a serial port connection from your device to a custom app on your phone.  None of them allow you to use custom profiles. This means I couldn't use it as an iBeacon or smart watch hooked to iOS7's new BLE Apple Notification Center Service API.

Can the BLE shield be reflashed with new profiles? I know it's a breakout board for the bluegiga chip. I've used BlueGiga's BLE dongle before and I was able to reflash it with their desktop SDK to support a custom profile. Can I do the same with this board?

Thanks,
 Josh

TinyCircuits

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TinyCircuits Homepage
Hi Josh,

Yes, you can reflash the BLE112 module, but you'll need the TI CC Debugger to do it.  The back of the BLE TinyShield has 6 pins on it which are the programming connection, you'll need to wire these over to the CC Debugger connector (the schematic for the BLE TinyShield is on the website to see what the pins are) - this is how we load in the initial program into the modules.

Thanks,

Ken
TinyCircuits

bpaul

• View Profile
Hello! I've just found this post and I am glad I did. I am very new to all this. Can you please give me some resources/information for how to transform the BLE shield into a iBeacon and program it? Even a starting point would be great, if there isn't any complete tutorial out there. Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk