Thumby Serial Connection

Inkbox · 6 · 3947

Inkbox

• View Profile
    • NotIn.Tokyo
First post here, I just got my Thumby today (one of the early bird ones). But when I tried to connect it to the thumby IDE website it wouldn't connect at all.  I tried to make sure every is alright, I kept plugging it in and out again, tried different USB ports, made sure it was on, and still nothing. I wrote a little program to see all the available serial ports in case the filters were wrong, but I don't see the Board CDC (COM36) showing up like I do in the tutorial at all, in fact I don't see anything show up when I plug it in. Any ideas on what I can do next?

lennevia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hiya there,

Since no port is coming up at all when the Thumby is turned on - it's possible that the cable you are using does not have the necessary data lines for communicating with the Thumby. Many Micro USB cables have just the power and ground wires to charge or power electronics.

Do you have any other cables you could try? Or are you able to transfer data with that cable in a different way - possibly by transferring files or pictures from a different device?

Let me know if that helps!

Best,
RĂ©na

Inkbox

• View Profile
    • NotIn.Tokyo
Thanks, that was it. Managed to find a cable that worked, didn't even know this was a thing.

Inkbox

• View Profile
    • NotIn.Tokyo
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this on now that my initial issue was resolved, but after messing around a little I wanted to clear some test files I had on it and hit the format button on the web IDE. Now it doesn't seem to work. It still connects fine to the website when turned on, but it doesn't function otherwise, it just displays a blank screen. I think there may be some differences with the new formatted files compared to what was originally there. I can't remember exactly what was missing, but it seems to be a few files short of what I saw it came in the box with. But again if I'm missing something or if I messed something up, then please let me know.

Jason

• Administrator
  • TinyCircuits Employee
    • View Profile
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this on now that my initial issue was resolved, but after messing around a little I wanted to clear some test files I had on it and hit the format button on the web IDE. Now it doesn't seem to work. It still connects fine to the website when turned on, but it doesn't function otherwise, it just displays a blank screen. I think there may be some differences with the new formatted files compared to what was originally there. I can't remember exactly what was missing, but it seems to be a few files short of what I saw it came in the box with. But again if I'm missing something or if I messed something up, then please let me know.

We are in an in-between state of Thumby APIs. The new files are accessible through https://tinycircuits.github.io/testing/. Try using the format button there.

Inkbox

• View Profile
    • NotIn.Tokyo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk