A couple questions about the emulator

transistortester

• View Profile
I've been starting to work on a larger project, and have a couple questions about development with the emulator:
First, how does the performance compare to real hardware?
Second, is it possible to use multiple files in one project with it?
Part of it will eventually require reading from a binary file too large to embed in a script, so I'm especially interested in filesystem emulation (even if just read-only). Being able to split the code into two files would be nice too.
Thanks in advance, seems pretty nice to work with so far.

Jason

• Administrator
  • TinyCircuits Employee
    • View Profile
I've been starting to work on a larger project, and have a couple questions about development with the emulator:
First, how does the performance compare to real hardware?
Second, is it possible to use multiple files in one project with it?
Part of it will eventually require reading from a binary file too large to embed in a script, so I'm especially interested in filesystem emulation (even if just read-only). Being able to split the code into two files would be nice too.
Thanks in advance, seems pretty nice to work with so far.

Performance: I made a simple example and measured the hardware to be 1.8x faster than the emulator, but it might not matter depending on the game. For example, our SaurRun game runs too fast on the emulator and hardware without a software frame limiter.

Multiple files: multiple files can't be used in the emulator, yet. A new version is being worked on where multiple files can be uploaded, but more UI needs completed. The new version would allow for read only access so far, but files in the emulator are still placed in root '/'; however, I am looking into a way to allow the emulator to read/write files and directories so we can have 1-to-1 filesystem emulation.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 03:02:51 PM by Jason »

Timendus

• View Profile
Hey Jason, quick question... Will the version of the emulator on /testing move out of testing or will you be trying to finish that 1-to-1 emulation first?

Jason

• Administrator
  • TinyCircuits Employee
    • View Profile
Hey Jason, quick question... Will the version of the emulator on /testing move out of testing or will you be trying to finish that 1-to-1 emulation first?

Once we feel the API is stable enough everything will move from https://tinycircuits.github.io/testing/ to https://tinycircuits.github.io/ - which could be soon.

As for 1-to-1 emulation, that does not dictate if /testing gets moved. If features like audio are implemented, then those additions will be published to wherever the latest version of the IDE lives. /testing is just a temporary page because some of the API changes were breaking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk