Alternate versions of peripherals using different pins

eschrock

• View Profile
In one of my projects, I'd like to stack the TinyDuino, the Bluetooth LE board, and the LED board. Unfortunately, the BLE board uses IO5 and 6, while the LED board uses IO5-9. Because the LED board is Charlieplexed, if I want to stack it on the BLE board, I can't use LEDs D1-10.

Now, I can get around this by using a pair of protoboards to map unused IO pins to the overlapping ones on one or other of the boards and just control it that way. But it's not very pretty, and since I'm pretty new to this, fragile as well.

I would imagine this same problem happens with other boards. As a result, alternate pin assignments would be very nice to have for various boards...

calvinthedestroyer

• View Profile
    • Dungeon Studios Prototyping
We try to separate the pins where we can but unintentionally some of them run into each other.

I would suggest cutting the trace on the LED board and re routing it to another open IO pin. You might need a stereo microscope to do that.

TinyCircuits

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TinyCircuits Homepage
Actually the BLE board doesn't use pins IO5 and 6, are you thinking of a different board?  The BLE Rev 1 board just uses pins 0 and 1, and the BLE Rev 2 uses 3 and 4, so you should not have a problem running the LED shield with a BLE board.

Thanks,

Ken Burns
TinyCircuits

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk