RTC board with a few extras

0miker0

• View Profile
How about a RTC with a few buttons and a connector for a tiny OLED display? The one I've used in the past is too large to fit on the board so I pushed it up to the top so it hangs over the edge. Only room for one connector on the bottom so it would always have to be on the very top of the stack.

DaveChambers

• View Profile
Why not split the two functions up? This is all about prototyping or one-off installs. You could have an RTC shield and a separate display driver shield... would that free up room for the display header?

TinyCircuits

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TinyCircuits Homepage
miker,

I like it - I like it alot.  I'm all for you going forward with your board, I'm really glad to see others designing with this platform now!

Dave does have a point about splitting up the boards, although the one you designed is tailored mostly for your application.  We do plan on coming out with an RTC shield at some point, so you could possibly use that as well and just do the board for your specific OLED panel. 

The other issue is that the prototyping boards are assumed to be at the top of the stack for easy soldering and to allow high connectors, so without the stackable shield connectors, a user using this board would not be able to stack another board on top of it.  Do you see anyway to support the stacking function?

Thanks,

Ken

Xavious

• View Profile

EKMallon

• View Profile
    • The Cave Pearl Project
I just want to add to the request for a fairly accurate RTC board, so that folks can build data logging applications with deeper sleep cycles for power saving, and use an an alarm interrupt from the RTC to wake. I know Tiny has an RTC in the works, but I would love to know eta, and the chip they are considering. The DS323x chips (rather than the cheaper DS1307s) have a built-in crystal and temperature compensation, which becomes more important in outdoor applications, and you can pull the internal temp data from the rtc, so you get that sensor for free.

And wrt stacking, somewhere in the forum there was a suggestion of a ribbon cable with stackable, mini connectors on both sides, which solves the problem of stacking multiple proto boards, and also deals with the battery holder on the RTC board (unless the rtc board had its own power connector, similar to the way they attach cmos batteries to the mother board in laptops)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk