GPS TinyShield not getting location

tvykruta

• View Profile
I have a GPS TinyShield and am running the official example, but I only get this output:

**** **** ********* ********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***   *******  ****** ***   17046 0         0       

It does this infinitely. I have it sitting on a window with clear view of the sky for 10 minutes. I'm using this example:

https://codebender.cc/utilities/download/37442?board=TinyDuino&referrer=TinyCircuits

As listed on the TinyCircuits official product page:'
https://tinycircuits.com/products/gps-tinyshield

I have a WiFI module which is not working either. 0/2 right now unfortunately for TinyCircuits. I've spent 2 days reading posts trying to solve this, no luck yet.

tvykruta

• View Profile
I bought 2 new TinyProcessor but still not getting any action from TinyGPS. 0 satellites found. The TinyProcessor works with the TinyAccelerometer Rectangular, so I have no reason to believe the processor itself is bad nor my dev setup. I see accelerometer read outs in the monitor. But still no GPS.  I'm testing the TinyGPS independent of other censors. My setup is just the USB unit, processor and TinyGPS.

PascalJedi

• View Profile
Just bought the TinyGPS and exactly the same thing.  All results are *** and RX keeps incrementing, but no sentences are ever processes.  1 hr outside with clear line of sight to the sky and not response.

Was there just a batch of bad GPS modules from TinyCircuits or is the same code bad for the ASD2501 (Rev 4)

PascalJedi

• View Profile
O.k., the answer to this question is:

static const int RXPin = A1, TXPin = A0;

TinyGPS is located on those pins.   Be sure to leave the hardware as 1,0 as those service the USB to Serial port output.

Code: [Select]
#include <TinyGPS++.h>
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
/*
   This sample code demonstrates the normal use of a TinyGPS++ (TinyGPSPlus) object.
   It requires the use of SoftwareSerial, and assumes that you have a
   4800-baud serial GPS device hooked up on pins 4(rx) and 3(tx).
*/
static const uint32_t GPSBaud = 9600;

Just bought the TinyGPS and exactly the same thing.  All results are *** and RX keeps incrementing, but no sentences are ever processes.  1 hr outside with clear line of sight to the sky and not response.

Was there just a batch of bad GPS modules from TinyCircuits or is the same code bad for the ASD2501 (Rev 4)

yost87

• View Profile
This solution worked for the "Simple Test" sketch.  I am now able to see location data in the serial monitor after following Pascaljedis advice.
My code for the setup section now loos like this:

"void setup()
{
  // Added this

SerialMonitorInterface.begin(115200);
  ss.begin(GPSBaud);
  while (!SerialMonitorInterface && millis() < 5000); //On TinyScreen+/SAMD21 platform, this will wait until the Serial Monitor is opened or until 5 seconds has passed

SerialMonitorInterface.print("Simple TinyGPS library v. "); SerialMonitorInterface.println(TinyGPS::library_version());
  SerialMonitorInterface.println("by Mikal Hart");
  SerialMonitorInterface.println();

gpsInitPins();
  delay(100);
  SerialMonitorInterface.print("Attempting to wake GPS module.. ");
  gpsOn();
  SerialMonitorInterface.println("done.");
  delay(100);
  while (ss.available())ss.read();
}"

(NOTE: I added this: " static const int RXPin = A1, TXPin = A0;" to beginning of setup routine.  The text between the quotation marks.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:56:48 AM by yost87 »

eirajeremy

• View Profile
I have a GPS TinyShield and am running the official example, but I only get this output:

**** **** ********* ********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***   *******  ****** ***   17046 0         0       

It does this infinitely. I have it sitting on a window with clear view of the sky for 10 minutes. I'm using this example:

https://codebender.cc/utilities/download/37442?board=TinyDuino&referrer=TinyCircuits my location

As listed on the TinyCircuits official product page:'
https://tinycircuits.com/products/gps-tinyshield

I have a WiFI module which is not working either. 0/2 right now unfortunately for TinyCircuits. I've spent 2 days reading posts trying to solve this, no luck yet.

----------------------
I also just bought a GPS TinyShield and encountered the same situation. Even though I tried the codes as instructed, the results were not better. Maybe I need to ask a friend who is good at technology to help me.

dnl

• View Profile
I am successfully using the GPS Tiny Shield with a TinyZero. These are the relevant lines from my code:

Code: [Select]
#include "GPS.h"
#include "SoftwareSerialZero.h"
TinyGPS GPS;
SoftwareSerial swuart( GPS_RXPin, GPS_TXPin );

void setup() {
    // GPS
    swuart.begin( GPSBaud );
    gpsInitPins();
    delay( 100 );   // delay() is EVIL when GPS is in use
    gpsOn();
    delay( 100 );   // delay() is EVIL when GPS is in use
    // Drain the GPS module's pent-up data
    while( swuart.available() )
        swuart.read();
}

void loop() {
    int year;
    byte month, day, hour, minute, second, hundredths;
    unsigned long age;
    float flat, flon;

GPS.crack_datetime( &year, &month, &day, &hour, &minute, &second, &hundredths, &age );
    if( age != TinyGPS::GPS_INVALID_AGE ) {
    }
    GPS.f_get_position( &flat, &flon, &age );
    if( age != TinyGPS::GPS_INVALID_AGE ) {
    }
}

I use the GPS in a widget that provides data for astrophotography, including the current GMT and location among other data. It will take 5 to 10 minutes to get a fix when it's first used after a long time. The next night, however, it will get a fix within 30 seconds.

HTH
--
dnl
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 04:31:53 PM by dnl »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk