TinyDuino Ribbon Cable Shield - so that shields can be stacked sideways

reachakbar

• View Profile
2 suggestions

1- Stacking some shields sideways so that your TinyDuino doesnt grow upwards when using more shields.

2- Ribbon Cable Shield to pull all the points out onto a Breadboard.

amdrake

• View Profile
I really like the idea of a sideways extender so a second stack can be built.  Another company sells these for full size Arduinos: http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/DWX/DoubleWide+ExtenderShield.  They also sell a triple-wide extender.

--Tony

hackman

• View Profile
I also like the idea.
I'm using the tiny duinos in my car and the possibility of having them horizontally stacked would help me put more of them in the ceiling of the car :)
And possibly at different places where vertical stacking is not possible.

Omnionix

• View Profile
Agreed. For my principal project and Tiny Duino useage, horizontal orientation is very much needed...
Ken, this cable seems like a fairly straight forward request/build - and obviously the user community wants it - so how about it? Please knock this one out quickly!

tinybuilder

• View Profile
I'm just thinking out loud here...

A development system that uses cable interconnects that comes to mind is Seeedstudio's Xadow which has a 12 line interconnect cable. Seeedstudio's Film (discontinued) used 20 lines with each component/shield called a Frame. The connector used on the Tinyduino is 2x16 pin connector for 32 signal lines.

A configuration with two 0.3 mm pitch 33 pin FFP/FFC flat cable connectors (such as the YLL-U or YLL-D SERIES), one on each side of the board would require running 32 lines (don't need the 33rd) across the board. This probably would require at least one more board layer.  What about electrical noise because who knows what kind of havoc that configuration could cause on the lines with components above/below them? Perhaps 1 layer of shielding if there are components only on top, or 2 layer of shielding if there are components only on top and bottom. That's pretty expensive. Could the shielding be eliminated? Perhaps, but stacking order may be effected since some shields may be noisier than others.

Please pardon the stick figure diagrams :-P
  • o - mounting holes
  • [ - FFP/FFC Connector
  • ====  - Flat cable
  • .........  - Lines

Top View
-------------          -------------         -------------
| o        o |         | o        o |         | o        o |
| [.........[ |====| [.........[ |====| [.........[ |
| o        o |         | o        o |         | o        o |
-------------          -------------         -------------

Side View of Layers for new Tinyduino boards
:-/ I don't know... seems risky
--------------- Circuits
--------------- Lines
--------------- Circuits

2 layers of shielding to protect against other tiny shield noise?
Components only on top
--------------- Circuits
--------------- Shielding
--------------- Lines

Components only on bottom
--------------- Lines
--------------- Circuits

Components on top and bottom with 2 layers of shielding. Probably safest... expensive.
--------------- Circuits
--------------- Lines
--------------- Circuits

These suggestions make the PCBs thicker... I am not sure that is totally desirable but it may be necessary for this configuration.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:08:59 PM by tinybuilder »

username

• View Profile
This sounds like a great idea. I just got my TinyDuino a few days ago and I'm already wishing that it could be hooked up horizontally.

aaronpbrooks

• View Profile
Yes.  Just some simple right-angle ribbon cables would be super helpful for building into projects needing a lower profile.

Grimstone

• Still downloading...
    • View Profile
The more I play with Tinyduino, the more I see a need for a ribbon cable. It would add alot of versatility to the powerful little device.

delads

• View Profile
+1 for a ribbon cable. Even though the stackable form is amazing, I need a lower profile requiring horizontal configuration.
Is there currently an external provider for the specific connector you guys are using ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk