Worlds Smallest Diabetic Monitor Using Tiny Circuits

Andy · 3 · 4870

Andy

• View Profile
This is more a shout out to Tiny Circuits than anything for making such an awesome platform.

As I was looking for a tiny full featured platform I jumped on the Tiny Circuits platform for prototyping! I love these things. Part of me wants to shout this out as the folks running Tiny Circuits don't have time to do this kind of thing, they are running a business, and I commend them for it (I've run shops and it is not easy).

My first creation with tiny circuits is the worlds smallest Diabetic Glucose monitor (CGM).

The basics of this are that the body worn sensors data is sent to a server (that is the CGM vendors stuff). From there, I pull it down to an android device, and send the data via BLE to a TinyScreen+ with a BLE board and battery.

The Articles can be found here:

Part 1:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-worlds-smallest-diabetic-cgm-receiver-part-1-andy-pal?trk=hp-feed-article-title-publish

Part 2:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-worlds-smallest-diabetic-cgm-receiver-part-2-andy-pal?trk=hp-feed-article-title-publish

There will be a #3 in the series as the enclosure issue has finally been solved. And more coming yet using these excellent devices ( I have a full series of tiny medical devices in mind!).

Cheers and happy new year all!

Andy

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:54:32 AM by Andy »

fronimitis

• View Profile
Nice article. I am interested in tiny circuits too. But, I didn't understand well what is the CGM device that you mention, and the usefulness of your monitor. You have a CGM device somewhere that has capability to send data to a smartphone? If yes, then why not just monitor the measurements on the phone?

Andy

• View Profile
It was more of a "can it be done" type of project, with less of an eye on usefulness.

If a diabetic checks their blood sugar 30 times a day with a CGM, then digging out your phone, pressing power, getting past the lock screen, opening the app each time is 8+ seconds of annoying. The premise is to get the information with less steps.

Also, at home a person is not always carrying their cell phone around. A lot of the human factors for such things I wrap around less steps, less work for the user.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:40:42 AM by Andy »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk