Smart Watch Files

kagiac · 4 · 6713

kagiac

• View Profile
I have all the components for the Smart Watch (bought them separately) but am having trouble printing the case.  When I downloaded the files, they weren't marked as .stl files.  I added the extension and was able to open the files in both Cura for Lulzbot and TinkerCad but the size is super small. I can scale it up but don't know what the exact dimensions are. What's up with this?

Thanks,
KG

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Missed this, sorry- can you let me know where you downloaded the files? Sounds like a unit mismatch, but I'm not too experienced with STL files.

Ben

Joachim Siegert

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I ran into the same issue: opening the .slt-files provided at https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1125/2198/files/watchDesign.zip?3747 (as linked on https://learn.tinycircuits.com/Kits/TinyScreen-Smart-Watch-Kit_Tutorial/) with Ultimaker Cura results in an automatic upscaling by 10,000% which makes it way too big, but going to 100% doesn't make sense either because then the watch casing is roughly 1 cubic millimeter in size.
My best guess is that the unit used to create the .slt files is inches, hence I would have to upscale by 2540% (one inch being 25.4mm) to get the correct size in millimeters. Can anyone confirm? Or can anyone simply provide the actual dimensions of the watch casing? Couldn't find those.

Thanks,
Joachim

mjculross

• View Profile
I have all the components for the Smart Watch (bought them separately) but am having trouble printing the case.  When I downloaded the files, they weren't marked as .stl files.  I added the extension and was able to open the files in both Cura for Lulzbot and TinkerCad but the size is super small. I can scale it up but don't know what the exact dimensions are. What's up with this?

Thanks,
KG

I don't personally have the SmartWatch kit, but I can confirm that the model appears to be in inches (this is *not* a problem with the files - an STL file has no way to include scale and/or units information).  Since Cura for Lulzbot assumes that all dimensions are given in mm, you should simply use the "Scale" function & scale each axis (X, Y, & Z) equally by a constant 25.4.  You parts will then be printed at the proper size.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk