External antenna for GPS Shield

DrJoe · 4 · 6305

DrJoe

• View Profile
Anyone tried to attach an external antenna to the GPS shield? It would be nice to have an external antenna for better reception. I've got a couple of magnetic mount Garmin GPS antennas and wonder if they could be used with the shield.

Thanks.

TinyCircuits

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TinyCircuits Homepage
Excellent point - we do plan on offering a new GPS option with external antenna in late summer 2015.

Thanks,

Ken
TinyCircuits

SilverOne

• View Profile
It seems this option is not yet available. Is it still on the roadmap?
For some of my projects metal surroundings are an issue and an external antenna would greatly increase usefulness of the GPS Shield.

If the shield can be modified directly to attach an external antenna, that would be OK too.

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi- we've just started shipping a revision to the GPS board that uses a U.FL connector and very small external passive antenna. I apologize that our product listing does not show this- we're in the process of launching a new website/web store. This is not a great situation- I'll push for an updated listing ASAP.

Regardless, the external antenna greatly increased performance as you would expect, and it seems to work fine with other small passive GPS antennas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk