Is the ANY way I can connect non-tinyduino i/o to the tinyduino processor?

yossisun

• View Profile
Is it possible?

For example - adding a simple push button? connecting piezo buzzer?

Or even more complex example - wiring it to a simple lcd?

Thanks.

TinyCircuits

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TinyCircuits Homepage
Yes!  This is definitely possible.  There are several different proto board options that expose the IO pins and let you either use screw terminals (The Terminal Block TinyShield), or solder points.  You can use this to hook up external sensors, buzzers, buttons, LEDs, etc.

Thanks,

Ken
TinyCircuits

RojBlake

• View Profile
I need this, too. Will the proto board allow me to connect external buttons that control the same functions as the four built-in tiny screen buttons? I'm making an external control panel and I'd like that option. If so, are there examples/schematics?

tastewar

• View Profile
Remember that even if you can't hook up the buttons to the same pin as the TinyScreen buttons, given that what any button does is defined by your software, in general you ought to be able to make two electrically independent buttons perform the same action...

RojBlake

• View Profile
That is very helpful, thanks. I've received my proto board and I'm trying to figure out how to wire my buttons into the flappy birds program. I'm a novice at this so it will take some trial and error. I suspect that I need to route a voltage (5V?) through the button and into a digital input on the board, then find the appropriate piece of code to hack. If anyone has any tips on this please chime in.

RojBlake

• View Profile
I managed to get an external button working. After a bit of digging, I found out that the 3.5 connection doesn't do anything and that you should connect any externals to VCC, not 5V so it can switch between usb and battery power. Hope that helps somebody.

Ben Rose

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Right- VCC is where external power should be used.

However in the case of a button, 'standard' practice is to connect one side to ground- then you can use the processor's internal pullup resistors to bring the input up when the button is inactive. Keep in mind the reverse logic in the code.

Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk