Tiny ribbon connectors to allow different layouts

jdh2550

• View Profile
I love tiny.  I love plug and play connections.  I don't always want to create a stack.

Sometimes I want to create a panel (boards next to each other) so that I can keep the thin profile.  Other times I want to put one board over here, and one board over there because I'm mounting them in a really small space.

I could do that with the lili's but then I have to rely on my soldering skillz (scary!) - but with a mini ribbon cable with connectors on both ends I could achieve my packaging nirvana with the TD and be sure of good electrical and mechanical connections.

:D

hughesbuddy

• View Profile
I'd like to second this.  My project is based off of essentially making a bracelet with the various boards Tinyduino has, from the processor, to BlueTooth, to GPS, etc.  but stacking these all up ends up taller than is practical.  If the boards could be connected by say a 1 or 2" ribbon cable of some type they could be daisy chained into a bracelet almost automatically, i Just think this would be very useful and would love to see it available, thanks.

calvinthedestroyer

• View Profile
    • Dungeon Studios Prototyping
I think I have the general idea of what you want, can you draw up a sketch of how you want the ribbon and boards laided out?

Would be nice to come up with a common Flexible Printed Circuit Board (ribbon cable) that would work for multiple layouts.

Omnionix

• View Profile
Calvinthedestroyer - Were you ever able to create mini ribbon cable?

tinybuilder

• View Profile
I posted some information about sideways layout (like the Seeedstudio's Xadow does it) in the http://forum.tiny-circuits.com/index.php?topic=180.0 thread which may be of interest...

As for vertically stacking... (sorry for some duplication from the other thread)

The connector used on the Tinyduino is 2x16 pin connector for 32 signal lines. To accommodate the tiny profile of the Tinyduino and its mounting holes, a configuration with two 0.3 mm pitch 33 pin FFP/FFC flat cable connectors (such as the YLL-U or YLL-D SERIES), stacked one behind the other, with the second mounted taller (higher) then the first, should do the trick. Obviously, 2 different height FFP/FFC connectors would be needed.

A variant configuration for stacking.
Pros:
  • Eliminates height restriction.
  • Allows fat payloads between boards.
  • Additional PCB board layers would not be needed.

Cons:
  • Extra connector does take up precious PCB real estate.
  • Cable bulge makes stack wider.
  • Cables can be a bit touchy to shifts and movements.

Please pardon the ascii figure diagrams.

Top View of staggered/stacked FFP/FFC configuation
o - mounting holes
[  - First low connector (closer to the edge) FFP/FFC Connector for downward connection
 [ - Second high connector (further in and taller) FFP/FFC Connector for upward connection
-------------
| o        o |
| [[          |
| o        o |
-------------

Side View of staggered/stacked FFP/FFC configuation daisy-chained with flat cables
  ^  - connector (high connector) for upward connection
^  - connector   (low connector) for downward connection
|-  - Cable
NC - No Connection since it is the top or bottom of the stack

3 Tinyduino Shields with FFP/FFC connectors
NC     ^ (high connector)
|----^   (low connector)
|   ---------------------- (Top Shield of Tinyduino Stack)
|     <Fat Payloads in between boards>
|-------^ (high connector)
 |----^   (low connector)
 |   ---------------------- (Middle Shield of Tinyduino Stack)
 |     <Fat Payloads in between boards>
 -------^ (high connector)
NC   ^   (low connector)
     ---------------------- (Bottom Shield of Tinyduino Stack)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk