New Proto board

saustin

• View Profile
I'm having fun with my TinyDuino!!  I've been showing it off with the LED board (I wrote a simple binary count-up program).  People are amazed at its full capability and tiny size!
When I get a different more interesting project working I'll post!

I'd like to see a proto board with a prototyping area, that is it permits me to add components *not* tied to arduino signals.  I see a few approaches:
  • New "blank" proto board with vias *not* tied to arduino signals and no signal connector with the board mounted via standoffs/screws on top of Proto1, 2, or 3 board (this is would cause problems with circular TinyDuino version). User would wire wanted signals lines from Proto1/2/3 board up to proto blank board.  Remainder of vias available as a prototype area.  No connector offers for space for larger prototyping area.
  • Blank proto board but with signal connector and some/all power, gnd signals tied to some vias.  Connector ties up board space, but don't need standoff/screws for mounting)  Remainder of vias available as a prototype area.
  • Blank proto board but with signal connector, no signals tied to vias, and a ribbon cable attached to connector.  User would choose signals by selecting which individual wires from ribbon cable.
  • Blank proto board (no connector) and a ribbon cable attached to *lower* board's connector.  User would choose signals by selecting which individual wires from ribbon cable. Lower board doesn't have to be Proto broad (unlike #1).  More room for prototype area.
  • Very similar to current Proto 2 and 3 (Proto 1 might not have space), but provide convenient trace cut locations.  That is, if the user used Proto3 and didn't need IO4-IO9, the traces could be cut opening up 6 vias for a prototype area.
Scott

calvinthedestroyer

• View Profile
    • Dungeon Studios Prototyping
We have been thinking about making the proto boards stack able.
A proto board with an area for prototyping would be nice, but there is not much room for that. Would you want surface mount or through hole?

mrchad

• View Profile
My vote would be for idea #1.  After trying something simple like an LED with a resister, or a photo resistor on the proto board, I realized the desperate need for some extra through holes to attach things to.  The extra board on top, with leads or wires dropping down to the proto board below would have been just the thing!

Chad

stamasd

• View Profile
A proto board with an area for prototyping would be nice, but there is not much room for that. Would you want surface mount or through hole?

How about both? I am comfortable working with SMD, but it takes practice and your average Arduino user may not be. Having a through-hole version would appeal to many users (though you make the best use of the space with SMD)

EKMallon

• View Profile
    • The Cave Pearl Project
I love this shield idea, but I have already run out of room on the bolts from the mounting hardware kit so would need some longer ones to make use of it.  Does anyone know where one could find longer bolts in this extremely small diameter? The local hobby shops had nothing to offer.

calvinthedestroyer

• View Profile

How about both? I am comfortable working with SMD, but it takes practice and your average Arduino user may not be. Having a through-hole version would appeal to many users (though you make the best use of the space with SMD)

I was thinking of making an SMD board with 3 different size grids of pads with some through holes in between, that way we can have SMD on one side and through hole on the other.

calvinthedestroyer

• View Profile
I love this shield idea, but I have already run out of room on the bolts from the mounting hardware kit so would need some longer ones to make use of it.  Does anyone know where one could find longer bolts in this extremely small diameter? The local hobby shops had nothing to offer.

For now you could have two sets of bolts where one set goes in the opposite direction of the other set,  leaving you with only one section that just snaps together.

EKMallon

• View Profile
    • The Cave Pearl Project
Good for the desktop, but I wonder how a second stack would just stress the joint once the whole unit starts moving and shaking, esp with the extra wires coming out of the top protoboard acting acting like springs. I know this is a bit extreme for most people, but if a ribbon cable connector was available for the USB shield, (with a pass through connectors on in the main stack side) I would be tempted to pot the entire thing due to moisture hazards, as well as structural support.

...Like the idea of having the same shield for through hole AND smd. (though still have not been brave enough tackle smd soldering)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk