Inertial Measurement Unit shield

jcarey5225

• View Profile
I've always wanted to make a quadcopter, but the price and size of existing models always put me off. I think it would be great if an IMU (or even just a gyro) could be integrated into a shield so that the TinyDuino, upcoming GPS and motor shields could be used to make our own tiny flying crafts!

Thanks,
          Jack

Adam 'Weirdarms' Wiggins

• View Profile
Repost of what I mentioned on the 3-phase BLDC topic.

Someone suggested in the kickstarter comments for the project an all in one 9-axis chip (http://invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu9150.html) which looks ideal, it seems to be about $17. A simple shield with that (maybe some other telemetry like a I2C temp chip and/or barrometer).

amnipar

• View Profile
One more vote for this. I would like to make a tiny quadcopter with TinyLily, and a small IMU would be ideal.

ahkub

• View Profile
Hi,
Functionality-wise this might be a good starting point. It's based on MPU9150 from Invensense, like Adam suggests.
DROTEK's 10 DOF IMU at http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/153-mpu9150-gyro-accelerometer-magnetometer.html

For data logging, a large SPI Flash would be perfect on the IMU board if there is space.

Best regards,
Alf

jordyjoe1

• View Profile

TinyCircuits

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TinyCircuits Homepage
IMU it is, we have the design completed for one based on the MPU9150, and it should be available for general sale on the webstore in late July / early Aug.  We also have a few others that will be available at the same time if you don't need the full 9-axis, like a compass shield and gyro shield (in addition to the existing accelerometer shield). 

Although there aren't 10 votes yet, I say we have a winner for the "Free Stuff" suggestion on this one and will hook jcarey5225 with a free one when it's available.  And for everyone else who voted on this (Weirdarm, amnipar, akhub, tomcUT and jordyjoe1), we'll give you $10 off coupon to use in the webstore. 

Thanks!

Ken

jonkoay

• View Profile
That's great! I was looking for this earlier and found this post. Can't wait to get one. Do keep me in the loop when this available.

flintols

• View Profile
Agreed, tinycopter would be a great shield, andif you could include an additional servo switch, it would be more useful than current designs.

jonkoay

• View Profile
Hi Ken,

I hope the development of TinyCircuits IMU is going well at your end. I would like to know if an altimeter sensor will be included (i.e. IMS5611). By having this sensor with MPU9150, a 10DOF maneuver will be possible.

Cheers, Jon

stamasd

• View Profile
(belatedly) vote for this as well, especially if a barometer/pressure sensor/altimeter is included. I was going to propose MPU-6050 as gyroscope/accelerometer with HMC5883L magnetometer and BMP085 pressure sensor.

All 3 on one TinyDuino shield would work great for my avionics project. I would use one processor board, one IMU board and one microSD board (or alternatively a I2C EEPROM on a proto board) to log flight data for my model rockets. The rockets themselves are small (2 ounces without engine) so every gram I save counts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk